Friday, March 9, 2012

My sewing mentor penpal

A few weekends ago, my father and I traveled to Chapel Hill for the tenth annual Fearrington Folk Art Festival. Dad was an invited artist and I was his helper for the weekend. Dad brought new art to this show and it received a wonderful response from his regular clients. The weekend proved quite fruitful for me as well because I wore Tré Lilli garments all weekend long, sold scarves and received positive feedback from what I hope will be my future client base. Among the jewels of the weekend, was the introduction to a lovely couple from the area who purchased a few of Dad's paintings and who were quite intrigued with our partnership. I started chatting with Francine about the story behind Tré Lilli and how I came to designing clothing with an art background and have been teaching myself to sew along the way.

Francine is also a designer and self-taught and we both agreed that we needed to remain in touch for a multitude of reasons. Ever since returning, Francine and I have struck up a dialogue via email about pattern alterations and modifications and we continue to inspire one another.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my "village". Ever since embarking on this journey two years ago, I have come across a multitude of mentors and each one has given me so much guidance and humor. My ideas have only been able to expand thanks to these women. I started calling one in particular, National Treasure, because it is astounding the amount of knowledge in this tiny woman's capable hands and head. Having recently watched a film about Valentino, and having seen his multitude of incredible seamstresses with their dying art of hand-sewn couture, I know how lucky I am to be surrounded by talent and experience.

Regarding this particular correspondence, I look forward to continuing my mentorship via digital letters and photos. Perhaps there will be something further to share of my communiqués with Francine...

No comments:

Post a Comment