Friday, March 9, 2012

In the Studio: resizing a pattern

Having just taught myself how to sew two years ago, there are many, many things that I am still learning to do. Today in the studio, I followed a tutorial on resizing a pattern. The sizing world is still quite arbitrary to me and I much prefer fitting garments to actual bodies, but in an industry such as this, there are pros and cons to every business model. For example, if I choose to limit myself to a bespoke or made-to-order model, I reduce the pool of potential clients to those able to visit Birmingham. While I am still seriously looking into the idea of becoming a traveling sartorialist with potential for rendezvous in Bali, Turkey, Madagascar, New Zealand, Chile and Antarctica, there is a good deal more planning and work and income required before that dream comes true, so in the mean time, I must try and expand my model a bit. And the tutorial today will help me make petal tops in different sizes so that I can begin to offer S M and L. Once I get the hang of this and figure out how to finish the inside seams cleanly, you B'hammers will be able to locate a S M or L at Molly Green. Until then, I'm becoming quite obsessed with the smell of muslin. Makes me think of hay and farm animals and new garments all wrapped into one delightfully easy to work with material. 


***Note on the word Sartorialist - if you haven't yet checked out the blog of he who coined this term, you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment